Thursday, February 18, 2010

2.18.10 -- 1 Corinthians 6

1 Corinthians 6

1 Cor 6:2-3 ~ This one surprises me every time I read it. I know it's there, I know it's truth, but I have a tendency to forget! It seems mind-boggling to imagine that we, as believers will one day join Christ in judging the fallen angels!

1 Cor 6:9-11 ~ This laundry list of those who will not inherit the Kingdom is most often brought out to condemn others. Yet if you look at the context, Paul quite clearly states "such were some of you, but you were washed." Amen to that!

1 Cor 6:12 ~ Here's a verse that is also frequently misused. If Paul says all things are lawful, what is there to stop us from doing whatever we want? Read the context. All things are lawful, but clearly not all things are right or good or pleasing to God. And that should be our main focus, should it not?

1 Cor 6:20 ~ I'm often told that the free grace gospel is heresy because "if people believed that, what would stop them from doing just as they pleased?" Here's the answer. We were bought at a price. I know that I forget this often, and find myself in foolish situations. I'm still human after all. But when I do remember this verse, when I do think about the price paid for my salvation, I find myself in awe of the great and powerful love of God for me, and for those around me. Makes it a lot easier to want to follow His will!

No comments:

Post a Comment